This position provides oversight, education, training and hands on assistance of the Safe Patient Handling equipment. Requires
understanding of patient care activities, patient assessment and understanding of the equipment to ensure the correct equipment is
used at the appropriate time. Will require strong computer skills and ability to develop statistical data, trending information and
1.Provide on-site didactic and hands on training for nursing and other medical center staff in the use and proper application of
available unit specific safe patient handling equipment to ensure OSHA compliance, improve patient and medical staff safety during
transfers and bedside activity and promote a culture of injury prevention and safe patient handling throughout McLeod facilities.
2.Will provide orientation and training to nursing and other medical center staff, competency assessment, assessing staff learning
needs regarding all aspects of Safe Patient Handling and Mobility (Unit Peer Leader Program, regulatory requirements, equipment,
3. Provide training to nursing staff on application and implementation of BMAT (bedside mobility assessment tool) to identify mobility
levels of patients in their care; to outline mobility plans when mobilization is needed for patient care activities.
4. Assist in the analysis and investigation of employee patient handling injuries by providing expertise in safe patient handling best
practices; identify and provide recommendations for additional training for incident avoidance.
4. Coordinate enhancements in interdisciplinary communication regarding safe patient handling and mobility.
5. Outline, develop and create safe patient handling collateral materials: newsletters, tip sheets & equipment guides to foster safe
patient handling best practices and equipment application and use.
6. Plans and delivers technically competent care to patients with complex needs.
7. Participate in unit/program level quality improvement processes and initiatives as well as customer service program.
8. Record and report on engagements including job coaching, training and consultation requests; updating records regularly for
9. Responsible for equipment tracking, accessory inventory and supply; identifying defective or damaged equipment, initiating red tag
10. This position may include other clinical or administrative assignments necessary to the mission of McLeod Health.
11. Maintains a professional image and exhibits excellent customer relations to patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers in
accordance with our Service Excellence Standards and Core Values.
RN, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, or Physical Therapy Assistant. Hospital bedside in-patient experience a must. Previous
instructional/teaching duties a plus.
Licenses and Certifications:
RN: Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the
following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in
Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, or Physical Therapy Assistant: Valid professional license within the state of practice.
American Heart Association Healthcare provider.